Monday 30 December 2013

2013 in Review

Last year there was no review of 2012. I suppose with the travelling for 6 months of the year, the posts were constant, and with all the excitement, trying to pick a 'best of the month' was impossible. I suppose now my life is settled a little more, I want to put on here what I often put on Facebook in picture form. Perhaps add some more detail as I look back on 2013.

I will say that the number 13 used to cause fear in me. However, 2013 being such a rewarding year. And of the most poignant of those rewards happening on the 13th of the month, I think I will make 13 my second luckiest number after 16. Anyway here goes.

January
My New Years Eve was the most unique to me in years and years. Not since the 1980's have I had this type of NYE event. Because, I slept into the New Year and did not see it in, in a conscious state. Still staying in with my sister, we had some beers and pizza, and about 10:30 I was in bed. My feeling has always been that the NYE is a metaphor for the year holds true. My sensible steady ease into the year has been indicative of the fact that this is the year I really try to calm down mentally. I'm in my heart-attack years for goodness sake.

January after NYE is always a bit of a non-month for most people. Often you are paid early in December and have 6 weeks to spread your earnings, with Christmas taking a big chunk of your money as it is. It means the month of January is a quiet one. I was still a temp being paid weekly, so financially it wasn't an issue, but the month was as quiet for me as anyone.

Of major importance to myself was January 30th, at 11:30am marked 10 years since I last saw my doggy Oscar. While I noticed early in the month and decorated my Facebook accordingly. I forgot about it on the actual day. I mentally flogged myself for forgetting that, how could I? Even though I remembered the following day. Its like I let that dog down again. The reasons I gave him up were pure selfishness. A dog that gave me so much, yet only required a walk a cuddle and some food each day. There for me in my darkest moments. But I gave him up because he was in the way of me wanting to travel (which I did in 2004) and further a pretty crap career in London. We all like to say we have no regrets, but that is bollocks. We all have regrets, even if they serve no purpose. I will always regret my awful decision to give up Oscar, and I further regret not remembering on the actual day. I have no excuse for being such a horrible person.

February
My job at Manchester Airport finished in the first week of February. I enjoyed it there and as I wasn't aware I'd be coming back, I was sad to leave all my colleagues there.

However on the 15th, I was off on my mini-adventure into Poland. I was to spend a month volunteering, teaching English or doing some farm work. Although right up until 2 days after my arrival into Gdansk, did I know for sure where I was going. It turned out to be a lovely eco-farm called Agrochatka in Klucksborg, Southern Poland. My hosts Ela and Jerzy were such lovely people as were the whole family. I spent the rest of the month helping in their school. Stacking pumpkins. Cooking my British dishes. Shovelling snow and coal.

March
I spent the first week of March helping at ABC Language School in Lebork, Northern Poland. It was to be my first big classroom experience. With me as a teacher, teaching English and a class of teenagers to control and keep from texting and Facebooking and not concentrating. I stayed with the owners of the school for the week before returning to Gdansk.

Back in Gdansk I met up with a chap from Sunderland who was also travelling alone. I had little English company until this point so we did what English do. We hit the bars in Gdansk, well we hit two bars. Polish beer starts at 5% and moves up from there. We were hammered in the first cosy place next to the hostel. But on we went and when the stomachs could take no more pints we decided then was a good time to become Polish and try the various vodkas. Polish shot glasses are like more like whiskey tumblers. I vaguely remember the walk back along the canal, then awake to one of the worse hangovers of my life.

And what a day to start with a hangover. The snow was falling in Gdansk as I made my way to the Station then to the airport with Hamburg, Germany as my destination. I started at Burgerking in a feeble attempt to fight the sickness with calories and sugar. No such luck, I could not take more than two bites out of the burger. I crossed the street and saw the bus leave, then read that another wouldn't be along for an hour to the airport. I waited in the snow feeling awful, but aware this was all my doing. Why can I remember every footstep of that hungover journey from Hostel in Gdansk to Hostel in Hamburg, yet so little about the night before? There is a lesson on alcohol in there somewhere.

On arrival in Hamburg, I got the bus to the centre. I went to my dorm and stayed there until morning. The next day I caught the train the Berlin where I spent 3 days following my new hobby of photography. Well not a new hobby, but a hobby with a recent cash investment to up the game a bit. And generally exploring the city I absolutely love.

On returning to Hamburg I visited the immigration museum, the next day a submarine, and Beatles Platz, before returning to the UK and back to my kind sisters home.

By the end of March, I had found a way back into Manchester Airport as a temp, and I am grateful to them for finding work for me right up until the end of my time in the UK.

April to May
Nothing much to report in either month. Margaret Thatcher died in April and that split the nation a bit in opinion. And I was surprized in myself how little I found myself caring that her funeral may be state-funded, and how she supposedly invented greed and said nasty things about Mandela. I just saw an old lady who was a PM once. Didn't agree with her very much, but couldn't detest her personally.

Somewhere in April or May I finally got an interview date for June 11th at the US  Embassy. The day was in sight.

I also spent much of May getting the injections needed to come to America. So many I forget which and what for. Seems I spent every few days in a clinic in Ashton-Under-Lyne.

June
On the 5th I had an appointment with a doctor appointed by the US Embassy to see how fit I was to come to America. It seemed I was overweight (I knew this), blood pressure a bit high (I knew this too), but physically ok and unlikely to be a burden to the US (as if they had a public health system or something). Questions on my alcohol intake which I think is normal and less than average seem terrible when you are saying them out loud to a doctor who gives nothing away facially.

On 11th my visa was approved to be a permanent resident of the USA. That was a moment of relief. The following week I booked my flights, and set about disassembling my life in the UK. Fortunately, my life was confined to a room in my sisters and there wasn't much to do logistically. All the packing up was emotional.

July
My last month in the UK. I suppose it started by saying goodbye to everyone in Manchester. While I always saw Manchester as a city I never wanted to settle in, the people I met there are utter treasures. For all I rattle on about dynamic crazy London, for the 6 years I spent there, compare the people I keep in touch with from London days to those from Manchester days. This is telling. So a few nights of saying goodbye and hugs was bitter-sweet.

I also built bridges with two of my siblings, both of which separated by time and incident. We were in constant contact for a while after July, but I guess the things that divide us are more overwhelming than those that bind us. The 'pat eachother on the back' and 'kudos to all' fest has fizzled out a bit. Unfortunately distance isn't the reason. It seems there are completely irreconcilable differences, with a basis in something we will never agree on, and exasperated by us growing culturally so far apart.

On the 13th I arrived in New York and on the 14th into Haines Alaska. The rest of the month was spent job hunting and getting to know the people of Haines. This is with the back-drop of a wonderful Alaskan summer

August
After failing to secure a job in the small town of Haines, I got my first job in America on the 13th, but all the way down in Juneau.

With 3 days training from the previous accountant, I pat myself on the back in hitting the ground running with my first all round general ledger position since 2009. Also finding myself almost alone with learning Federal Taxes as opposed to PAYE, which I had even less involvement in back in 2009.

Also my co-workers are all pretty amazing people.

I got my social security number the week following, at last. And it had 69 in the two digit part - uh, hur hur! I love innuendo.

September
After weeks of long waits on the phone to USCIS, I finally get my actual Green Card. Or by its legal name I-551. But it is a card and it is green and it serves the purpose you'd suppose. I now have to carry this on my person all the time by law.

October
I met my cousin Sara for the first time in our adult life when we took the drive from Haines to Whitehorse, Canada for Canadian Thanksgiving with the family. My Aunty and Uncle were also there and we had a great meal together. Also, the first time I visited Canada, so a new country on my CV. I'm looking forward to our next visit in Spring. It's fantastic having family on my doorstep - well doorstep in North American terms.

I passed my written driving test, and have a State of Alaska Driving License. Instructional only, I have two years to take the road-test, which needs to be done in Spring when the snow melts.

November
Our American thanksgiving with Turkey was good. Just Sarah and I. A cooking calculation error meant we eventually started eating about 9pm. But with Turkey having the soporific effect, alongside killing time with beer, we were passed out pretty soon after dinner.

December
Our works Christmas do was small and perfect. It was my idea to meet up on the Friday before Christmas Day under the email subject "mayhem". The following day was a very sore-head day, but happy that it was a really great evening in Downtown Juneau. And not least due to our amazing boss who paid for the first few rounds and food. Bless her.

Christmas day, was low-key for Sarah and I, here in Haines. We had a ham and my special garlic and rosemary roasters. No presents were given, just a very relaxing day. And of course, being in Alaska, it was a white Christmas. My first since 2009, which was my first ever.

New Years Eve will be spent at a Masquerade Ball. My costume is a scary blank mask and gothic type jacket. Tonight I am helping with decoration of the ball venue. If the party leaves me with a hangover, then the perfect cure will be available on Jan 1st, 2014. I plan to join the town of Haines in polar bear club. That is jumping in the water by Haines harbour on a cold snowy day. I am scared.

Anyway if you've read this far; HAPPY NEW YEAR!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment