Tuesday 24 December 2013

Amythica: Intro

I remember reading the introduction to Stephen Fry's America, the book which accompanied the series of Mr Fry visiting every state in the US. In this introduction, he hit the nail on the head as to British attitudes and opinions of Americans. The snobbishness which tells us more about us than it does about them. Unfortunately, I am an 'us'. And being British I fall guilty of relapsing into that habit which is ingrained. Sometimes encouraged by the American love of my accent, that feeling no matter what British social class I am, it automatically trumps being American. When I see myself thinking this way, I am immediately shamed.

Then again, I want to explore the myths and stereotypes of Americans and America. I want to do this maybe 85% with my own observations as an ex-pat and my personal experiences. Observations which are very open to debate.

Stereotypes are there for a reason. Myths, have some basis in truth to seem plausible, and stand some test of time. Even if the original truth gets to us as reliably as a game of Chinese Whispers. So myths are none-the-less interesting, and to again quote Mr Fry, that our view of Americans "tell us more about us than them", means that a closer look at the relationship of 'us' and 'them' valid and stimulating.

So, in dealing with stereotypes, and therefore generalizations, no doubt any reader will arrive at many examples which contradict me. Sure, I can come up with a few myself, and this is what I will no doubt do as I carry on. When I talk about Fat Americans, please shout back "what about Adele?". Or even, how much do you weigh Chris? When I talk about the glory of British music, please shout ... well there are loads of counters to that.

The subjects I am covering are:
  • Insular
  • Freedom
  • Fat
  • Music
  • Language
  • Healthcare

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment