Friday 18 May 2012

Day 37 to 40 - Dubai


Dubai is an amazing place if you have money and we didn't really. It was just a stopover, a stopover I was wrongly assured that carried an offer of a transfer to hotel. Apparently this only meant Emirates Hotels. Nevermind, £16 taxi ride to the hotel wasn't bad. The hotel was nice and so nice we didn't leave it that much. We ventured out on the second day to see the Burj Al Arab, which we know to be the most gaudy hotel in the world. Caught a bus back and retired to the sanctuary of air conditioning. Walking through Dubai is walking through a desert. Its oppressive in the heat. A bottle of water will stay refreshingly cold for a matter of 32 seconds. Knowing the cost of things and realising that Asia was round the corner, I think the concensus was we should be unashamed to enjoy our last nice hotel for a while and watch films etc.



Obviously I didn't see much of the area but I think I can sum up Dubai as a city thats growing and growing but unsure what it's growing into. It's all about business I guess, and things for business people to do. To that end I think comparisons with Vegas stop at a luminated city built in the desert. Vegas, a place I have also to visit seems about fun at most levels, family, gambling, drinking and the rest outside the law. Dubai has an under current of strict Islam which means this westerner will never see it as a good destination, no matter how many ski slopes, water parks or dancing fountains they produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment