Friday 18 May 2012

Days 40 to 44 - Bangkok


This was my third visit to Bangkok, well actually more as in both my previous Asian ventures a lot of back and forthing was done to Bangkok. I think I know what to expect, but thats a false security as it has been 8 years since my last visit.

The main difference was a different airport.... oh here I go again journey from airport to hotel...not interesting.  In any case I think I'm reaching writers block on Bangkok, as the place has been so visited. I'm sure everyone who has bought a backpack from Millets has come out weary at Bangkok airport and made their way to Khao San Road as we did. The difference this time was we had no place booked (yes I'm going into the first nights accommodation). Sarah asked me if there was anything reserved and I said "no" and she gave me a semi-trusting semi-doubtful "ok". We spent two nights in The Chart Inn right on KSR before moving to Rambutri, just behind the Wat near KSR.

Khao San Road, Bangkok

KSR is like it always was, stalls selling fruit and diarrhea. The same blind man walking down the street singing with a cd player round his neck. Cheap beer and cocktails, all food imaginable. And to cap it off Farang (like us) wearing Singha vests and flip flops and all trying to look as travelly as possible, so different from society back home. Although they aren't back home so they look uniform. Someone wearing a smart pair of jeans and a clean shirt looks unique here. As always I make these smug comments then buy a '7 Eleven' and a 'Mr Strong' T-shirt to wear with my cloth slacks and sandals. That's me people, I mock and conform... it's distasteful.

The first day we were talked into a river cruise for an hour. It was a little expensive I thought, but it was good to see the Venicey side of Bangkok. Ladies approaching you in canoes to sell any old crap. Kids jumping in the river, which makes any westerner scream dysentry. Also interesting was the fish feeding and seeing loads of fish act like pidgeons round a peace of bread. Also we took a visit to the Reclining Buddha in Wat Pho and again my second visit but still amazing. I also took Sarah to the Wat near KSR, which was more laid back. I love Buddhism. I know to all who've heard me spout on against religion, this may be thrown back. However, I feel with Buddhism there is a take it or leave it acceptance to all who want to see. Not just take all or leave all, its take as much or little as you like. This presents problems for westerner looking to get involved. They tend to think in the moralistic, join a club attitude of Judeo-Christian religions. While interested the back of their mind "what are the rules?" "do I have to be veggie?" "what if I cant meditate" "how many times a day or week should I meditate". The answer of "its up to you" is perplexing, religion needs to have rules as all clubs do, right?. Its all about well being of the mind, not saying sorry and feeling guilty about transgressions. It was my visit to Asia in 2002 that made me come over to Buddhism, buy a Buddha statue, an Introduction to Buddhism from Waterstones and set about my life as a complete rejection of the remaining christianity in my life. Ten years on it faded. My statue now sits in my sisters kitchen and the book went out with all my books when I left the UK. However, seeing the monks and the Wats again, a little tinge is returning.

Yesterday we decided that there is more to Bangkok than wandering up and down KSR, looking at watches to talk ourselves into dinner and a Chang Beer. We decided to try Lumphini Park and Siam Square area. Taking a passenger boat down the river and a sky train to the Park we found a place to sit and read. While there we saw and snapped about 3 monitor lizards which looked scary like dog size Komodo Dragons. Unsure whether to approach I kept my distance. Sarah got closer. Finding a table to sit and read was chilling. I was reading and have now finished One Day by David Nicholls. Its been made into a film with Anne Hathaway now, but a great book which tells the story of a boy and girl who hook up a lot as friends and lovers but don't really make a steady relationship for the most part of the book. Also it tells the story of both their lives at each stage on the day of 15th July from 1988 when they both graduate from uni to 2007. I liked it as my birthday is 16th July so as often you can remember where you are on your birthday, I remembered where I was through most of the book and gave a few nostalgic grins. From the 90s acid house, Rachel haircuts, Labour coming back into power after 18 years, the London bombings of 2005 and the seige mentality some had at the time. It also helped that the characters are almost my age and the girl has the same stupid beliefs as mine to veer to the left in any discussion whether it makes sense or not. I could recommend it to you as a book, but it may not be as personal to you and you may be moaning at the pointless extended banter dialogue as Sarah is doing now she has started 'One Day'.

Today we have another night train to catch and that always means filling the day after nicely asking the guest house to look after our bags for us. This time we have been charged about 20p for the priviledge. Also after pressure from Sarah and to be honest realising I look like a an old hippy drama teacher who slipped his previous conviction with a six-former through the CRB check, I decided to cut my hair. Its ok looking and I should now accept that long hair looks absolutely stupid on me and people who tell me otherwise are not jealous of my free spirit but very well intentioned. Anyway tonight its the night train to the boat to Ko Samui. I'm really looking forward to the islands.

Haircut


No comments:

Post a Comment